Do you ever consider what’s going on with your mind? Do you just let it wander, or worse, go on pause for extended periods of time? What are you feeding your mind?
What are you doing with your time? Are you living life on purpose? We should all be careful to not let ourselves get lazy mentally and spiritually.
Proverbs 24:30-31 says: “ I passed by the field of the sluggard and by the vineyard of the man lacking sense, and behold, it was completely overgrown with thistles; its surface was covered with nettles, and its stone wall was broken down.” This could be a metaphor for what’s going with our minds and our lives. If we don’t engage and become slothful, our lives will become full of nettles and our walls will be broken down.
Someone who is a sluggard is idle, indolent and inactive. It leads to APATHY, LACK OF INTEREST, ENTHUSIASM OR CONCERN. We all need to check ourselves to make sure we don’t become spiritually and mentally lazy. Don’t become inactive.
Reach out to God. Reach out to people. Keep doing things. Keep stretching your mind. In our world of social media, Netflix and Amazon it’s super easy to become a spectator in life.
We need to engage in learning new things. Jesus said: “Be careful what you are hearing. The measure [of thought and study] you give [to the truth you hear] will be the measure [of virtue and knowledge] that comes back to you—and more [besides] will be given to you who hear. (Mark 4:24) In other words, if we seek the in-depth knowledge of the truth, we will be rewarded; however much we put into it is how much we’ll get back.
To avoid being idle or a sluggard, continually do the following three things:
- Seek God – search for Him and His Word with all your heart, then you’ll find the truth.
- Seek people – don’t ever stop being involved in people’s lives. Be an influencer. Get engaged. Seek opportunities to be with people, help people, learn from people and teach people.
- Seek knowledge – don’t ever stop learning. Your mind is the most amazing part of you. It’s infinitely more sophisticated than the best computer in the world. Don’t waste it. Don’t let idleness overtake you. Decide today to engage. Don’t let weeds grow in your life.
Slothfulness: laziness. Synonyms: idle, indolent, inactive leads to APATHY: LACK OF INTEREST, ENTHUSIASM OR CONCERN
- Don’t become inactive. Reach out to God, to people, keep doing things,
keep stretching your mind.
- And He said to them, Be careful what you are hearing. The measure [of
thought and study] you give [to the truth you hear] will be the measure [of
virtue and knowledge] that comes back to you—and more [besides] will be
given to you who hear. Mark 4:24
- It also says: Ask and it will be given, seek and you will find, knock and it
will be opened.
- Seek God
- Seek people
- Seek knowledge