Against the Current is a biblically-based, clinically sound counseling ministry that exists to help individuals, couples and families experience emotional, mental, relational and spiritual transformation. By focusing on Temperament or Creation Therapy, we strive to first assess an individual’s inborn genetic makeup before determining the best solution to propel real lasting change. Our focus is to identify the root of the problems affecting an individual’s mental and emotional well-being.
Jesus said: “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28).
Based on that promise, we believe that God uniquely designed each of us to be in perfect balance spiritually, emotionally and physically in order to experience wholeness. Within our unique temperament traits we have a “well-fitting yoke”, and when we learn our specific characteristics, the path to a positive transformation is more attainable.
Since most behavioral issues in a person’s life are a result of wrong thinking, our goal is help individuals change wrong thinking patterns and replace them with correct ones. Cognitive therapy is one of our core methods to identify the root of the problem, thereby fostering a change in behavior.
We are certified through the National Christian Counselors Association and use the Arno Profile System- a scientifically sound profiling system- to test our counselees as the counseling process begins. Developed by Drs. Richard and Phyllis Arno, the APS test and temperament therapy model has been helping thousands of counselees since 1983 with a 93% success rate. This figure is based on tens of thousands of testimonies over decades.
We further express that God the Father is our Creator and our Sustainer in life; that Jesus Christ the Holy Son of God, is our Redeemer, and we submit to His Lordship; that the Holy Spirit is One who reveals and guides us personally and professionally in our ministry; and that the Holy Bible is the infallible authority of matters of faith and conduct.
These biblical standards guide us as we apply the life-giving message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to our counseling ministry. The application of these standards of faith and conduct indicates that we demonstrate a respect for, and value of, every person as a being created in the image of God.
Covenant of Standards
- Committed to maintain current, responsible affiliation with a faith group or church body with which we are Ordained, Licensed or Commissioned Minister.
- Committed to a non-discrimination policy with regard to counseling services on the basis of race, gender, national origin, or religious affiliation.
- Committed to continued education and professional achievement through new developments in our professional arenas and clinical experiences.
- Committed to developing professional and educational relationships in various related disciplines, in our churches, communities, and agencies.
- Committed to personal spiritual, physical and emotional health.
- Committed to providing pastoral or Biblical counseling services for those issues and problems within the sphere of our training and competence.
- Committed to maintain professional relationships in various counseling disciplines for counselee referral, if necessary.
- Committed to the welfare of any counselee under our care as the primary goal.
Because we have seen so many lives changed with the proper counseling practices, we are committed to helping those who are hurting in practical, time-tested ways that will not only help them overcome emotional and spiritual issues, it will transform their lives in a positive way. There is always hope. There is always an answer to every problem we face.